Monday, 2 May 2011

Consigned to Bedlam,part 8

Jonathan Carter was on the edge of his seat, literally on the edge of seat. Sitting in the centre of his parent's growler one hand either side of him, his fingers nervously drumming on the leather seat. Jonathan wished that the journey was longer, as the carriage swung into the drive of Millicent Bowman's country house. To his shame, he half hoped that Mrs. Bowman was at her London residence so this meeting would not have to take place. What seemed so clear and logical only half an hour ago, now seemed silly and stupid. Stepping out from the carriages interior he asked his driver to wait, telling him to catch himself forty winks as he could be some time.Gathering his nerve he walked up to the large imposing door and rang the bell.


The door was replaced by a wall. A wall in the shape of Belmont, Mrs. Bowman's large shaven headed butler.

"Yes sir, how can I help you?" Asked the butler.

"I'm here to see Mrs. Bowman, my name is Jonathan Carter and I wish to discuss some things reference her daughter Veronica." Jonathan said in his best authorative voice.

"I shall see if she is in to you sir."

"Tell her I won't leave here without seeing her." Jonathan said, though without real conviction.

Belmont looked the young girlish boy up and down. "Really sir," he said, a half smile crossing his face. "is that right sir?"

"Er...Yes... Yes my good man it is right." Jonathan said, unnerved by the butlers steady gaze and intimidating manner.

As the butler wandered off, Jonathan again doubted the wiseness of this visit, to get her to agree to his offer seemed like a forlorn hope the more he thought about it. Then he saw the butler returning.

"Sir could you follow me please, Mrs. Bowman shall see you in her study." The gruff looking butler announced, and Jonathan duly followed him.

Upon entering the study Jonathan was shocked. He already knew from what Veronica had told him, that Mrs. Bowman was young, but he hadn't been prepared for just how young, or how pretty.

"Please take a seat young man." Millicent said smiling at Jonathan. "I hear you wish to talk of my daughter, I'm sorry to say she is not here at the moment. She is... lets just say, away for a while."

"I know madam, I know because I have just come from the same place." Jonathan said, trying his hardest to keep the quiver from his voice, then noticing that the butler had not left the room he added. "What I have to say is for your ears only madam!" Jonathan knew that he now had Millicent Bowman's full attention, he also noticed that she flicked her eyes almost questionably towards the butler lurking behind him.



"I believe that there is no need for Belmont to leave, he has my full confidence in his discretion," Millicent replied much to Jonathan's surprise, then added. "also the rather confrontational way that you addressed him earlier, has him worried for my safety."

Jonathan picked up on the sarcasm in her voice, as she intended him to, and to his annoyance he could feel his face burning up under her mischievous smile. This was not going as he had planned. He had hoped that today would be good practice for when he qualified as a lawyer, good practice at putting a case to a judge and jury. Already she had him cowed and embarrassed with only two sentences and a smile. "I have come here with a proposition for you, Mrs. Bowman," Jonathan said, his heart pounding in his ears. "I would like the hand of your daughter in marriage, with your permission of course."

Now it was Millicent that was thrown and confused, this was not at all what she was expecting. Though in truth she didn't really know what to expect from this pale frail looking boy, but asking of Veronica's hand was a real shock, to the point that she found herself dumbstruck.

"I know that you would wish for me to continue my studies, before we actually wed, so we both already know that this will be a long engagement." Jonathan said, sensing that to a certain degree he had if not turned the tables, he had certainly shook them.

"You seem like a sensitive and sensible young man," Millicent replied. "but you already know that my daughter is currently in an asylum for the mentally disturbed. So any thoughts of marriage, are for the moment at least out of the question."

"Yes madam, we both also that you had her placed in there for reasons of your own, and can just as easily have her released." Jonathan his voice lifting slightly towards the end of the sentence, causing Millicent's eyebrows to arch in annoyance.

"For you information young man, it was Dr. Dewbury that diagnosed my daughters sickness and all I am doing is following his recommendations for here treatment!"

Jonathan could see that he was coming very close to breaking Millicent's temper, rather than swaying her towards his thinking, he had to back track. Back track very quickly. "Mrs. Bowman, I apologise. I'm sure that you don't fully know the type of so called treatment, that Dr. Dewbury employs at your expense." These words seemed to have appeased Millicent to some extent, Jonathan continued. "Also you won't be aware of the deep regret that Veronica feels towards you. The deep regret that she has that, instead of welcoming you to the family the way a dutiful step daughter should have, she shunned you and tried to turn her late father against you, instead of ceding to your advances of love and friendship. Also she recognises that her father's will had been amended by him, when he was in a state of should we say mental instability. She wishes to legally reverse the terms of the will, giving you the three quarters of the estate instead of herself." Jonathan noticed that again Millicent seemed to be giving her butler a quizzical look, nothing blatant only a fleeting arching of the eyebrows.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Carter, you seemed to have had a wasted journey. It is not as simple as may think to have someone realised once they have been placed in such an establishment. Also...."

"Perhaps if I tell you more of how Dr. Dewbury's clinic is run it may perhaps change your mind." Jonathan said cutting Millicent short, then he continued to tell Millicent sparing her no details of how exactly the place was run by the staff. Then finally summing up by saying. "So you see madam, Dr.Dewbury and his assistant are seemingly using the clinic to gratify their own sexual urges. You also know even better than I, that Veronica, due to her home schooling and sheltered upbringing is somewhat lacking in social skills. I would think that now with me gone she will be feeling marginalised and alone. I know that that was never your intention."

Millicent sat back in her chair stunned. Stunned, by this young mans bluntness and lack of tact, in describing the events that had befallen both Veronica and himself. Stunned, by the fact that she had tacitly agreed to Dr.Dewbury's bizarre treatment of her daughter. Stunned, by the fact that this young man could profess to reading her mind in matters concerning her step-daughter. "Still, Mr. Carter, if I was to - and I'm not saying that I would - decide to remove Veronica from the clinic. I'm still not at all sure of you as a suitable suitor for my daughter!"

"Mrs. Bowman, you should look upon our union as you gaining a son rather then losing a daughter." Jonathan said beaming, feeling that he had again in part won her over.

"Yes, but what kind of son in law would I be gaining?" Millicent said, shaking her head. "A one who comes to my house, and threatens my staff. Not the best of beginnings young man, is it?"

"You will find me to be your most dutiful servant madam." Jonathan said, giving Millicent a slight bow with his head.

A slight, almost mischievous smile appeared on Millicent's face, as she again looked past Jonathan in the direction of her butler. "Perhaps we should put your fanciful words to the test, and gauge how serious you are in your intentions to my daughter?"

Jonathan nodded, though not at all sure to what he was agreeing to.

"You say you will be my most dutiful servant," Millicent continued, her arms now upon her desk, her upper body leaning towards Jonathan, her eyes in full contact with his. "for your information, Mr. Carter, this house is ruled by the rod. My servants, even the most dutiful are liable to fall under it. As a test, as a proof of good will are you willing to fall under it to I wonder?"

Jonathan swallowed hard, realising now to what Millicent was alluding to. He nodded.

"Belmont, fetch me a cane!" Millicent ordered her ever present butler.

Jonathan and Millicent both sat in silence waiting for Belmont's return, both locked in their own thoughts. Jonathan reflecting upon what a strange couple of weeks this has turned out to be. Millicent thinking of Veronica's plight and her young suitor sitting opposite and what to do about the two of them.

The door opened and Jonathan could hear Belmont's heavy footfall behind him, he watched as Millicent rose from her chair and strode out from behind her desk, then he heard Belmont's voice.

"As you required ma'am." Belmont said, handing Millicent the thin yellow whippy looking cane.

Millicent cut a practice stroke through the air, causing Jonathan to wince and start up in his seat. "I take it you were thrashed at school young man, so the time at Dr. Dewbury's would not have been such a shock to you?"

"Yes madam, but only by the masters, never by a lady, leastways not until I was put into the clinic." Jonathan replied, his mind going back to the erotically charged treatment room, and Dr. Dewbury's enthusiastic young assistant.

"Belmont, what figure do you suggest, six of the best perhaps?" Millicent asked her over obliging butler.

"No ma'am I would think a strapping young man like this could take eight without much problem!" Belmont replied, not even trying to hide the sarcasm in his voice.

"Then eight it shall be," Millicent said almost gleefully, again cutting another airstroke with the cane. "Mr.Carter if you could prepare yourself please. I think across my desk will be more than adequate. Oh and by the way, all punishments in my house are carried out on the bare skin."

Jonathan looked at Millicent, but he saw a different person to the young pretty woman that he saw when he first came into the study. He was now looking at a very self assured lady, one not to be trifled or bargained with.

"So, Mr.Carter, is my dutiful servant going to fall at the very first hurdle I wonder?"

"No, I am not." Jonathan replied, his fingers going to his belt and then unbuttoning his flies. He quickly lowered his trousers and underwear then went to bend across the desk.

"No!" Millicent stopped him. "Not quite yet. As we are now in this position, it would be remiss of me not to check exactly what my daughter is letting herself in for. Please turn around so I can have a proper look at you."

Jonathan obeyed, his hands falling down to cover his now well erect penis.

"Hands upon the top of your head please sir!" Millicent ordered the red faced youth. As Jonathan obeyed, Millicent's eyes opened wide in sheer shock. "Belmont, I do believe that this young gentleman has intentions upon me, going by the state of him?" Millicent said, her cane tapping at Jonathan's full blown manhood.

"Ah! Ma'am that is not always the case." Belmont said breaking his silence. "I have on occasion noticed, that whilst chastising a stable boy or a young footman, a similar rampantness to occur. It is something that they have no real control of."

"Oh indeed! How strange, and almost flattering." Millicent said almost grinning at her butler. "I don't have a great deal of experience in such matters, but this young man seems to be very well endowed. I am wondering now if sweet Veronica could bear being impaled on such a formidable weapon as this?"

"Perhaps ma'am," Belmont said sighing loudly. "it is his skinny legs that give the impression of a larger than normal endowment?"

"Mmm... perhaps you are right." Millicent said lacking conviction in her words. "Back to the matter in hand, if you could please bend over, and push your nether regions out for me young sir, we can begin."

Jonathan was glad of this instruction, anything to get their prying eyes of his genitals.

"Belmont, as this is a young man, rather than one of the maids should I lay the cane in harder do you think?"

"No ma'am, I have always found that a male posterior lacks some of the padding that a female carries." Belmont said, then added sarcastically. "Also this particularly skinny posterior offers almost no padding at all.

Millicent nodded in a agreement, then without warning brought the first cut across Jonathan's unprotected behind. The slash of the cane caught him by surprise, his head arched back in shock but to Millicent's disappointment he did not call out. In fact he did not call out until the sixth stroke fell, and that stroke Millicent aimed at the join between the bottom and the rear of his thighs. From her own experience at boarding school she knew that to be killer stroke. Each time he sat down, or stood up over the next two days he would have a sharp reminder of his time over her desk. The last two strokes followed in rapid succession, not really allowing Jonathan the time to re-adjust to the feeling in his upper thighs, each cut causing a shout of pain.



Millicent was quite pleased with her handiwork as she told Jonathan. "Re-adjust your clothing and wait out in the hallway, I have things that I wish to discuss with Belmont." Then almost echoing Jonathan's earlier statement. "These word are for his ears only!" Millicent showed the hobbling Jonathan to the door, then closed it behind as he left, then she felt Belmont's right hand sharply hit her bottom. Most of the force of the blow was dissipated by her dress and multi layers of petticoats, still though it caught her by surprise. "What on earth do you think you are doing my man?" She asked her butler.

"Sorry ma'am, I just thought that you were so enamoured by that young man's cocker, you wouldn't notice me smacking your arse!"

The butler replied.

Millicent laughed heartily and replied. "Well you have to admit it was rather large, skinny legs or not!"

"Millie, what are you going to do about Veronica?" The butler said, now all pretence of deference gone from his voice. "We can't have her rotting and going mad in that place!"